An illustrated booklet ‘The Parish Church – A Short History’ by Wyn Newbury is available at the back of St.Mary’s for 50p.
On 20th May 1869, Arthur Hornby who lived in Hook House, wrote to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners seeking to give 5 acres of land for the building of a church, burial ground and parsonage.
A deed conveying 7 acres was registered on 18th July 1870 and the foundation stone was laid on 16th August 1870.  The new church was consecrated on 16th August 1871 as the Consolidated Chapelry of St.Mary, Hook with Warsash.  The parsonage was then built next to the church.  The population of the new church district was put at 920 (700 taken from Sarisbury and 220 from Titchfield).
The new parish was gazetted in the London gazette on 22nd March 1872 with it’s boundaries fixed.
At a vestry meeting in May 1890 a discussion took place with regard to the want of warmth in the church.  An iron cased furnace was installed in August 1890 in the underfloor chamber.  The modern gas heating system was installed in March 1994.
In 1885 the very imperfect oil lamp lighting system was discussed.  Lighting changed four times before the current fittings were made and installed by Greg Gower in 1996.
In 1934 a new organ was bought for £50 from the ballroom of Warsash House.  A set of 5 tubular bells were installed in 1939.
In 1944 the stained glass windows were lost as a result of a Doodle Bug bomb landing nearby.  The War Damage Commission replaced the sanctuary windows in 1950.
A Vestry was added to the west end of the church in 1970.
Hanging in the south aisle is a model of a ship, built by Peter Clissold in 1975.  It is of HMS Hotspur, the largest ship built in Warsash in 1807.  A 38 gun frigate which served in the Napoleonic war.
A new Church Hall was built in 2000 by local builders FE Chase & Son.
A new Vicarage was built at the same time close to the site of the original vicarage which was demolished in 1973.  A temporary vicarage was located on Osborne Road for 40 years!

FROM 2000AD…
A new Church Hall was built in 2000 by local builders FE Chase & Son.

A new Vicarage was built at the same time close to the site of the original vicarage which was demolished in 1973.  A temporary vicarage was located on Osborne Road for 40 years!

A ‘Millennium Carving’ of the village by Ian Brennan was unveiled in September 2003.  This can be seen in Church above the clergy vestry door.

2006 saw major works to reorder the inside of the church by FE Chase & Son.  Imagine_empty_3The raised Russian Larch floor throughout the church was taken up, restored and relaid at the same level as the tiled aisles.  The back of the Font was restored with a new stone plinth.  112 chairs were purchased and the church was reopened on 21st May 2006 to encourage the life of today’s congregation.

2011 – Installation of Solar Panels on the Church Hall Roof.

2013 – Installation of a new sound system under the Imagine Project.

WHO SERVED HERE…
Vicars

  • 1871-1884   John Gaman
  • 1884-1890   Henry Wilkins
  • 1890-1897   Ralph Nevill
  • 1897-1900   Archdall Hill
  • 1900-1918   Charles Lloyd
  • 1918-1941   Thomas Holt
  • 1941-1947   Patrick Scott
  • 1947-1955   William Drake
  • 1955-1988   John Weber
  • 1989-1998   Trevor Reader
  • 1999-2013   Andrew Norris
  • 2014-           Michael and Nicky-Sue Terry

Assistant Curates

  • 1990-1994   Anne Boggust
  • 1995-2001   Jenny Lowater
  • 2004-2005   Steven Morgan
  • 2009-2012   Philippa Mills
  • 2013- 2014  Michael & Nicky-Sue Terry

Readers

  • 1995-2006    Neville Hall
  • 1997-2013    David Edmonds
  • 1999-            June Ward
  • 2000-2010    Peter Simpson
  • 2008-            Eva Upward